What does it do?
Camera FX! is a live photo application from xyster.com that lets you view 20 different filters, from black and white through to light tunnel in real time before making edits or saving your final image.
- There are 20 different lens effects, from those you’d usually expect, like black and white, color fade and sepia through to fish eye, light tunnel and mirrored.
- The effects are previewed on the main screen as a series of thumbnails, and although I prefer to preview images that take up the full screen, it’s good to see all the different effects side-by-side in case you can’t choose which would work best.
- You can then select just one effect so it fills the full screen, so you can see everything in more detail and tweak the settings.
- The UI is very easy to use, simply swipe back and forth through the grid of effects and then save, make alterations or start again by using the little settings button in the bottom left hand corner.
- In the settings there are options to zoom in, change the intensity of the effect and if you’re an iPhone 4 user, switch between the front and the back cameras.
- Once you’ve chosen the filter you want and have tweaked the settings, you take the photo. You then have to go into your camera roll from within the app itself to be able to send it via email or to Facebook, Twitter, or even directly set it as your Twitter avatar, which is a nice touch!
- It’s a little irritating that you have to take a photo then reload your camera roll to be able to send it on anywhere, it would have been much slicker to have been able to take it and then share it simultaneously.
- Because Camera FX! is a live app, it’s probably not going to be the best option for if you’re taking a photo of something that is particularly time sensitive.
- The filters are more focused on the ones that are a bit quirky and weird, like mirror image, rather than those that are of a high quality.
Do you need it?
I personally think there are better apps available when it comes to high quality filters and effects. However, the grid-like interface is actually really handy and if you’re looking for a live photo app that has a range of effects and is very easy-to-use, then Camera FX! would work well for you.